Monday, May 4, 2009

I need to stop buying lip gloss...


Despite several requests, I've refrained from posting any photos of myself just yet. I got in touch with Lisa from Solo Lisa about a week ago to get her thoughts on the matter - Thanks again hun! After some consideration, I have decided that at least for now, I will not be posting recognizable photos of myself. (Sorry!) This however, is a cropped photo of myself on a shoot I did a few years back.

Beautiful clothes, make-up, and well-coiffed locks are amazing, but nothing helps me feel more beautiful than a day where I feel happy about my skin, body and smile.

I had beautiful perfectly little teeth as a kid and at the age of 4, after chewing on some corn on the cob, my two bottom front teeth became wobbly. They fell out shortly after, as did many other of my baby teeth. They were replaced by much larger, oval shaped teeth which grew in crooked and looked far too large on my then much smaller face. I really wanted Invasalign braces but having such severe crowding and an overbite meant that I wasn't a suitable candidate. I didn't get braces until my freshman year of highschool and was thrilled when they finally game off in my junior year. I remember specifically telling my orthodontist about portrait day and about wanting them off by then!

Since the braces came off, I've played around with many OTC whitening products. I don't really like the kits with mouth guards as I find them uncomfortable to wear and you can't really talk when they're in your mouth. The paint-on agents aren't as effective either and I always feel like I'm swallowing a bunch of product. To date, my favourite are Crest Whitestrips and I use half a package every year or so right after a dental check-up. The newer, more expensive ones contain a higher concentration of the bleaching agent and are good if you want to see results quickly. I generally stick to the classic cheapeast Crest Whitestrips kit since it does just what I need it to do.

I actually thought about this post because I compiled my lip gloss collection together. I just moved home to Vancouver from school in Ontario and will be spending a few months at home for the first time in years. I started organizing all my things, making piles of things to donate, keep, throw out etc. I sorted through my make-up collection and compiled my lip glosses together (lip gloss, lips, teeth, smiles....they're related! :-p). A good amount of it was a gift from Maybelline, I would never go out and purchase every shade of lip gloss in one line. I haven't even opened most of them, I don't love the consistency though or the felt applicator. My fav of the Maybelline bunch is berry-bella, it smells good and is a really pretty summery pink shade.


I took a photo of it and decided to blog about how I am not going to buy lipgloss for another 18 months at least. It's kind of excessive no? I mean lip gloss, when opened is supposed to have a shelf life of 18-24 months, I definitely don't wear enough make-up or lip gloss to go through all of it. I usually just wear chapstick in the winter months but now that the weather is warming up, I'm looking forward to putting a dent in the lip gloss collection!

10 comments:

  1. I am a total lipgloss addict too!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am addicted to buying lipgloss, though I rarely wear it as I'm super concious of my teeth. I had 8 years of braces and they still stick out, I need surgery to fix that, but due to other issues I can't have the operation.
    Such is life,
    I need to love them I guess, ugly or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never buy any makeup except for some lotion. I put a lipbalm on but that's about it. I'm actually thinking of buying a some lipgloss though. I'll try the Maybelline one like you suggested! xxoxoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. you do have lots of lipgloss. but i love to buy them too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just thought I'd let you know (as I was once a brace wearer too) - your teeth are quite perfect. You have a very nice smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back to Vancouver! Ooh, what a lovely range of lipglosses, haha it will take you forever to get through them all, but I think the shelf life things doesn't really start until you open it?

    Btw, thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always use rosebud salve! its great! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi darling, it's CC again!

    Congratulations! You are the WINNER of the Creative Contrast Tolani Scarf Giveaway!

    Send me your info. (full name and address) to carriecalligraphy@gmail.com asap!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love lip gloss as well. i've never had as much lip gloss as you at one time, but right now i have about 5 lipglosses that i use regularly. the one i like the most is this l'oreal juicy tube one in panther pink. it was a limited edition one from when beyonce was in the pink panther and collabed with l'oreal to make a lip color. it is a very bright, strong, pink and i love it because it's hard to find pink lipglosses that don't look sheer on my lips. :)

    i'm going to have to buy some more lipgloss soon though because my l'oreal is finishing up (i've had it for forever. i bought it with a brownish colored one but i lost the brown one a long time ago). the maybelline lipglosses are really thick, no?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey--I finally saw your post just now! Thanks for the shout-out; I'm sure this was the right decision for you.

    Beautiful smile in your picture! Haha lip gloss is one of those things that's so fun to buy, although I can never use one up myself being a lip balm girl. I try to limit myself to buying beauty products that I know I'll use often these days, or ones that are dramatically different from products I already own.

    ReplyDelete